When I was growing up outside and around the Philadelphia area, there are two things I distinctly remember. The first, was watching my first Phillies game on TV. The second, was the very first time I went to see a Phillies game in old Connie Mack stadium. Ever since then, I was hooked on baseball, and watching the Phillies.
Back then, the only time the Phillies had gone to the World series was 1950, and they lost to the Yankees in 4 straight games. So, I didn't like the Yankees much. When we played the Cardinals(the first real game I saw), I remember they had a young speedster named Curt Flood and he could cover ground and run...and I remember, he dared the Philles Catcher to throw to third as he was halfway there...and off he went, but the catcher threw in the dirt and Flood stole the base. So, I didn't like him either.
Later, I learned to appreciate the Yankees and Curt Flood, and lots of other baseball players, Teams and little nuances about baseball. Another thing that kept me interested, was watching movies about baseball. I guess it was the kid in me, or some other reason, but I loved baseball movies.
So, here's my chance to let you know my top 10 favorite baseball movies. Let me know yours...
- Bull Durham - Kevin Costner, Tim Robbins, Susan Sarendon (steamy too)
- Bang the Drum Slowly - Robert Dinero and David Morse
- Eight Men Out - the Black Sox scandal
- It Happens Every Spring - Ray MIlland
- Field of Dreams - Costner again w/Ray Liotta as Shoeless Joe & James Earl Jones was great.
- The Pride of the Yankees - a classic with Gary Cooper
- The Stratton Story - James Stewart classic
- The Natural - Robert Redford
- The Rookie - Dennis Quaid
- The Sandlot - Our neighborhood was like that with big dogs who took our baseballs.
OK, that's it guys...let's hear about your favorites.